Thursday, October 1, 2015

Holy Wind

Back in June, we had a huge windstorm in Weston. I was pretty sure we were living in the Midwest with how insane it was.

The sky was blue and calm when I went to take a shower. When I came out it was a completely different story. I just happened to look out the basement window at my parents to see our Bob stroller go flying across the lawn and get stuck in the fence. I ran outside to see what else we were losing and found my parents huge pine tree in their front yard on the ground. It had been uprooted by the wind.

There were baby birds all over my parents lawn trying to figure out what just happened and trying to get back to their mom's. It was a little sad but watching the mama birds trying to get back to their nests was pretty entertaining. One robin kept trying to fly up and would get blown sideways.

I heard a loud thud but I just thought it was the tree coming down. I had even walked around the outside of my parents house trying to gather things up so that more stuff didn't end up in the pasture. I remember looking up and seeing a sign in the house and just as quickly as I saw it I moved on not thinking much more. I actually thought my parents were thinking they were funny and had put it there as a joke. I carried on and went back in the house.

The girls and I watched the storm for a long time. Trees were being taken down all around us. There were plastic houses that the goats in behind my parents house were staying in that ended up being blown through a farmers fields and landing a good mile away from where they were originally. The girls were very concerned about the goats and them not having a house. Eliza was most upset about a stupid blanket being stuck in the fence.

There were some big trees at the bottom of the hill just north of my parents that ended up falling down. Our neighbor took his tractor and pushed what he could off the road so people could still drive down the road and get through.

People lost shingles off their roofs, one families RV trailer ended up being flipped onto it's top and sliding into their house, thousands of trees were uprooted and blown over, one guy was even electrocuted from power lines falling onto his truck while he was outside. It was a crazy day in Weston and Dayton.

My mom was a work in Preston and they had a little wind but nothing like what we were getting. When she got home she came in laughing. She asked me if I had seen the sign in the side of the house. I opened the door and holy crap! Sign in the house.

Across the street there was a sign that warned drivers of a school bus stop ahead. It was now in the side of my parents house and it was right side up. It honestly looked like it had been put there by someone and not the wind.

The best part of the entire thing was that people would stop and come into by parents yard and take pictures. My parents decided to leave it there until it fell out on it's own. Well it started to fall out so we thought we better get a family photo before it came out completely.


Here is are a couple of pictures of the grandkids.



The sign is no longer in the side of the house. It will always be a funny memory.

No comments: