This experience was a little different then the girls. My doctor (Dr. Ahlstrom who is amazing) was watching me really close for preterm labor and at 29 weeks I started to dilate. My body can't get pregnant and then once I do it seems to just want them out early. (I'm sure moving had nothing to do with it. We sold our house and moved in with my parents. A blessing to say the least.)
I was put on bed rest for 4 weeks. Let's get something straight, I do not sit well. I don't know that I have ever sat or laid that long in my life. It was hard on me and my girls. I couldn't lift them, go outside and play with them, or do any of the things they were use to mom being able to do. We had lots of help and I will be forever grateful for those who were willing to sacrifice their time and work days to help take care of us.
At 34 weeks I was dilated to a 4.5 and 80% effaced. Dr. Ahlstrom told me I was susceptible to infection where I was that far dilated and effaced. On Tuesday, April 28 I was feeling super crappy. This pregnancy was different that way too. With the girls I was sick the first trimester and at night. Once my second trimester started I felt much better and life seemed relatively normal minus the two humans growing inside my belly. I felt nauseous the entire pregnancy and had no appetite. Food was not my friend but Hot Tamales sure were and still are. Strange I know but something to do with the cinnamon seemed to help and really helps while I am pumping. Maybe it's a mental thing and a way for me to eat constant sugar.
The night of April 28 I started shaking and had a low grade fever. I had also had some interesting smelling discharge so I had already called and made an appointment to go in to see my doctor the next day. The nurse thought I could be leaking amniotic fluid. I called Dr. Ahlstrom and he said that I better get to labor and delivery and be checked. He was worried I could have an infection and to error on the side of caution.
We arrived at the hospital at 7:30 pm. After answering 5,000 questions (my nurse told me I had to answer that many questions which was true) they did a swab and a few other tests and then she said that if she was a betting woman that I was leaking amniotic fluid. She did a PH test and ding, ding, ding. Amniotic fluid. I was taken over to a delivery room where we would being the process of having our baby.
Around 10 pm my water broke. Okay more like gushed and I felt like I had peed the bed. My nurse (Kirsha) came in and I told her my water had broke and it was every where. She didn't believe me until she looked under my blankets and then she knew I was telling the truth. They had to change all of my bedding because it was like Niagara Falls had landed in my bed. At 10:45 pm I got my epidural.
Everyone told me that epidurals were amazing and you didn't feel anything. Lies!! All lies!! I felt more pressure and pain with him then I ever did with the girls. Granted they were only 2 lbs and came pretty fast but I wanted to kill someone. I'm sure it also didn't help that no one told me there was a button I could push for more medication. I don't know if that would have made any difference because it is regulated.
At 11:20 pm I was dilated to a 7. Behind Harrison's head was what they called a forebag. It was part of the other bag but he had some how pinched it off or was keeping it from letting the water go. Dr. Ahlstrom popped that with this awesome looking crochet hook and that's all she wrote. At 11:30 I was a 10 and ready to go.
The contractions came hard and fast around 11:45 pm. Dr. Ahlstrom wasn't back so I had to hold off for 15 minutes. 15 minutes of pure hell!!! I wanted to push so bad and I'm sure Kirsha was sick of telling me that I couldn't push and to breath. They gave me an oxygen mask for Harrison because apparently it's important that the mom's keep breathing.
I kept feeling like I was pooping all over the table but she kept saying that it wasn't poop it was him. I also had the shakes something fierce. If someone would have just walked in my room they would have thought I was having a seizure. At 12 am I was finally allowed to push. Pretty sure that was the longest 12 minutes. I do not know how woman push for hours. I have so much respect for them. I could not have done it. I guess that is why my babies come fast. This lady needs them out fast.
At 12:12 am Harrison Nash Hylton entered the world and immediately stole our hearts. He is beautiful. He has a full head of dark hair like Eliza.
This is Steffanie. We got to know her really well when the girls were in the NICU and she has stayed one of our close friends. Mike also has taught her son so that has helped keep us in touch. When we arrived at the hospital we made sure she was working because if he was coming we wanted the best to be there to take care of him.
He weighed 5 lbs 2 oz. Dr. Ahlstrom had told us that he was between 4 1/2 and 5 lbs the week before. He was spot on. He could tell all of that by grabbing him while still in utero. Mike asked him what he thought he weighed, so he grabbed my stomach and said "Between 4 1/2 and 5 lbs".
He had to be on a ventilator for a little while because he needed a medication to help keep his lungs open. I was given a Betamethasone shot at 29 weeks to help his lungs to develop faster and I know that was why he has done so well with his oxygen.
Holding my baby for the first time. I always cry. I'll blame it on all the pregnancy hormones.
Amelia and Eliza came to visit at the hospital. They actually let siblings down into the NICU as long as they are cleared by their pediatrician that they are healthy. They didn't know what to think. It freaked Eliza out. All the tubes and Amelia liked riding the elevator so she kept wanting to go back to see "Baby Harrison".
Aunt Em meeting him for the first time.
Mike's thumb compared to his foot.
Mike's thumb and Harrison's hand.
Mike took similar pictures with the girls and what a difference 4 weeks makes.
Grandpa and Grandma Hylton came to visit that evening.
Here is Harrison on the high flow nasal cannula.
One of my all time favorite people, Chelsea Sandberg. We have been friends with her and Swen since living in our apartment and going to our student married ward. Chelsea made sure that I had the best nurses and that Harrison has also had the best. She has been able to take care of him a few times in the NICU and I am so grateful. She is an amazing friend and nurse.
He had to go under the belly lights but only for a day.
All snuggled in but those feet always were up and out.
Emily has been a huge help with the girls and letting them come and play at her house so I could visit Harrison. She got to hold him on Sunday and I think she likes him.
Grandma came down and got to snuggle him on Sunday as well. She has been taking care of our girls and never has a minute to herself. I was glad she got to come spend Sunday afternoon and evening with me and Harrison.
He is so dang cute!
He is now 1 oz above his birth weight.
These are just some cute pictures of our little man.
He is doing very well for his age. We don't know when he will be able to come home. He has to get this whole eating thing down. He starts out strong and then tuckers out quick. He has to drink 43 ml consecutively for 36 to 48 hours before he can come home. We have a while. He improves every day but it is a lot of fluid for such a tiny body.
The girls are having a hard time and rightfully so. I am gone a lot but have tried to spend the mornings with them before going to the hospital. Eliza gave me the cold shoulder yesterday. She would not talk to me or sit by me for 20 minutes. I did sit down by her and she scooted away. She is two. Does anyone else see this as a problem in her teenage year.
The girls are fascinated with pumping and where Harrison's milk comes from. They are constantly pulling up my nursing cover and asking me what I am doing. The first day I was home Eliza looked at the bottles that I am hooked up to and told me I needed to fill them up. Easier said then done kid. She also calls my pumping machine "Mom's milking machine". She is a smart little cookie. Amelia told me this morning that I could hold her because Harrison was out of my tummy. Again smart. We had been telling her that mommy couldn't pick her up and hold her because Harrison was in my tummy and wanted to come out to early. Well she put two and two together and he was out so she could be picked up and held. How do you argue with that logic?
We love our new addition and so far being a family of 5 is pretty great. It will be even better when we can all be together.
Thank you to all of you who are praying for us. We appreciate it and know the miracles that take place when the Lord is on your side.


3 comments:
Love the pictures! Thanks for the update :)
He's so cute! He looks great and will be out soon. He seems to be on the fast track of life. Thanks for the update!
How fun! I love reading birth stories! I'm so glad he was healthy, and things worked out so well for you guys!
Post a Comment